Saturday, August 23, 2008

Beer Night - Starting Off With A Pliny, Ending With Dessert

The night starts with a little NY Pizza and a mug of Pliny the Elder. I almost forgot that Pliny carries a pretty moderate bitterness with it (usually 92 IBU's on the Russian River chalkboard) in addition to all that great hop flavor. After a while you start to not even be able to detect the bitterness.

Up next..... maybe a Stone 08.08.08 in a little while. Sticking with the hops theme. A Belgian IPA sounds kinda good right now.

Well beer #2 came a bit later than I expected, but I had to crack something tasty in honor the Angels actually winning a game tonight. The choice was Southern Tier's Crème Broulée Stout. I wasn't sure what to ultimately expect from this Blackwater Series beer given that I loved their Choklat Stout but despised the Jah-Va Stout. What I did know that this was going to be massively sweet... and it was. Upon pouring the aroma of butterscotch is overwhelming. At first I can't get past the butterscotch but once I get use to it then milk chocolate starts to barely peek out underneath. As far as the flavor goes... Butterscotch mocha coffee, all in that order. This beer was certainly unique, and at 10% abv you will notice that alcohol at times. I had about an 8 oz glass and that's pretty much all I could take. I loved those 8 oz's but I'm not even thinking about drinking more than that. This is a beer that basically requires to be split among a few, or many people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really liking Vertical Epic 08. It might be hard to keep a bottle or two for the future.

Anonymous said...

You're totally flaunting all that RR you've acquired.

Steve said...

Hahaha, I really thought that was a kickass picture I took, and I love sharing my beer pics (what would this site be without my personal pictures???? more insignificant than it is now, that's what!)

Rational Realist said...

Pliny is great so drinkable, and if it wasn't a double IPA with its high alcohol it would be a session beer. I am really liking the 08.08.09, too, and not sure how many I will be able to keep.

Rational Realist said...

Couldn't get back into edit mode, sorry for the typos in my previous comment.