Saturday, August 2, 2008

Another Two Top 100's Bite the Dust

Last night I found myself out at The Back Abbey and amazingly not only was my first choice still on tap, so was my second! Two for two is beating the odds when ordering something off a draught list these days. The first beer was Beer Advocate's 63rd ranked beer in the world, Aventinus Weizenbock made in Germany by Brauerei G. Schneider & Sohn. This was the first of the style I've ever had and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's wheat, banana and clove meets chocolaty, raisiny malt. I really loved the balance as the flavor wasn't dominated too much one way or another but created a balance which could be experienced each sip. I gave it a rating of 4.55/5.

Next order was the Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, the 81st ranked beer on Beer Advocate's best beers in the world. I was very skeptical of this as I've never enjoyed any hoppy Belgian beers. I just don't (didn't) see how that hop flavor and aroma could work with those earthy phenols the Belgian strains pump out. Well I was wrong. While I didn't exactly like it as much as I do my American IPA's it was still quite good. At first there was a strong earthy and spicy flavor but after getting acclimated for half a glass I started to pick up citrusy notes of the hops. Overall very nice and easily drinkable earning it a score of 4.3/5.

No comments: