Friday, May 30, 2008

Another Yummy Brown Ale

I'm on this semi-amazing brown ale hot streak (never really liked or bothered with them before). First came Dogfish Head's Indian Brown. Then the Mammoth Double Nut Brown, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog, Brooklyn Brown Ale, TAPS Fish House Brown Ale and Magnolia Southern Pecan. Yesterday was Bear Republic's Pete Brown's Tribute Ale. I've never seen it on tap although I do remember seeing it sometime recently in bottles somewhere. Maybe this shows up in places frequently in Northern California, closer to Bear Republic, I don't know. I couldn't really find much info on Pete Brown, other than he was apparently a part of Bear Republic and that he passed away in 2002 (link). This brown ale tribute to him pours a cola brown with a light tan fluffy head that took forever to die down. Chocolate is abound in this brown ale. Although listed as 7% ABV on Hollingshead's Deli's tap handle sticker, Bear Republic lists it as 6.3%. It goes down really smooth. Lively enough not to be dull, but not overcarbonated or abrasive in any way. I finished this beer really fast and would have had another if I didn't have to drive back home 30 miles. Still loving those brown ales and giving this a 4.35/5.

No comments: