Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Digging Dogfish Head

I've started to slowly get through more and more of Dogfish Head's lineup, and am enjoying their beers quite a bit. The 60 and 90 Minute IPA were the firsts, about a year ago, and recently it's been Chateau Jiahu, Indian Brown, Raison D'etre, Festina Peche, and finally Burton Baton. Burton is simply an oak aged imperial IPA, though they note on the bottle that's a blend of old and young batches. My bottle was pretty fresh- only a couple months old. It's a 10%, thick, chewy beer. The smell has a floral hoppiness and even more of a candy-like sweetness and tropical fruit. The taste is a struggle between sweet fruit, thick malt, and resiny hops, but it doesn't come across as a hop-bomb or anything. I get some sort of woody aftertaste, or maybe that's a figment of my imagination. The bitterness is super low. Might as well call this a barleywine if you ask me. I liked it enough, but would probably be one of those beers I wouldn't reach for if I had other choices. 3.85 / 5

In my fridge and on deck are their 120 Minute IPA and Palo Santo Marron.

No comments: