Sunday, June 3, 2007

Double Beer Review - Green Flash West Coast IPA, Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA

Green Flash West Coast IPA- This bottle comes with quite a bit of sediment at the bottom. I wanted to drink this a long time ago but the guy at the liquor store turned the 6-pack on its side to scan the bottom and everything got stirred up. I poured a 12oz bottle for myself, and one for my Dad as well. Disclaimer on my Dad- he will drink whatever is around- be it any sort of BMC, or a bottle of Stone Imperial Russian Stout I happened to leave in the fridge last weekend when I was gone that disappeared into his and my Uncle's bellies by the time I got back. His lone comments on this IPA were a) "That has quite a flavor to it," b) "spicey," c) "I think it's a little too bitter for my tastes." I would say for a casual beer drinker like him, those are pretty accurate comments, though I could argue a bit with the last phrase. Anyway this pours a beautiful copper with a tinge of red and a big old frothy head that leaves beautiful lacing. The taste is big on pine and citrus (shocking huh?), and there is a very aggressive bitterness I would compare to the Wipeout IPA. The mouthfeel is full bodied for a regular old IPA- but with an ABV of 7% this is getting close to that line dividing IPA's from DIPA's. Good beer though. I gave it a 4.2 on BA.


Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA- I have had a few run-ins with Speakeasy Ales & Lagers from San Francisco, and all have been pretty pleasant. The Prohibition Ale (amber) was very good, and the Untouchable Pale Ale pretty good. This one comes out a slightly hazy golden color and has floral hoppiness written all over it. As the back of the bottle claims it should, the finish is very dry. Let me re-emphasize that. This is probably the driest beer I've had next to the good old Abbot Ale. It's not too bad overall, and as an IPA it does what it's suppose to do- deliver you a nice dose of hops. Drinkable, but a tad too dry for my tastes. I gave it a 3.75 on BA. As a quality control measure I poured the last 2 or so ounces for my sister who has become a fan of the IPA's and she announced her approval.

No comments: