Saturday, June 30, 2007

Avery Salvation

The unlikely hero of my Saturday afternoon turned out to be the Avery Salvation. Purchased this a few weeks ago, as Belgian Strong Pale/Golden Ales have quickly become one of my favorite styles. What turned out to be a lazy Saturday afternoon consisting of a little swimming and watching episodes of season 5 from Curb Your Enthusiasm, turned out to be a lot more interesting once I cracked open this baby. I admit, when I purchased this I thought it was going to be a world class beer just from the price, but then I saw the reviews on BA, which were good but not top notch. When I finally got around to seeing for myself, I realized it was top notch, at least in my book.

Poured an initial chill hazed rich golden color, though it turned clear as it warmed up. The head, as you can see, was plentiful, leaving a little lace. The taste was very rich with fruit. It definitely had that Belgian yeasty feel to it, but had a lot of sugary sweetness. Interestingly, I could also detect a bit of hops in the finish, which I normally can't in other Belgian-style pale ales. Salvation is 9%, and you could drink this fast. If ever in need of a great beer to give you a quick buzz, look for Avery's Salvation. I must say though, Russian River Damnation is still my all-time favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I gave the Salvation a 4.15 on BA.

No comments: