Saturday, June 23, 2007

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

This was beer 2 of 4 that I bought that are impossible to find on the West Coast. Three Floyd's Alpha King was fantastic, but this one was a let down. I didn't find the Commodore Perry IPA to be as full flavored as what we normally find in California. The smell was very subdued and uninteresting, which I would describe almost like a good pilsner. The taste definitely lets you know you are drinking an IPA though, with piney and grassy notes alongside a pretty strong and lingering bitterness. The taste wasn't very complex and although I occasionally like something very unbalanced that will deliver hops in full force without anything else getting in the way, this just didn't grab me. This is not to say I thought it was bad, I still enjoyed being able to drink this rare beer, but I also would go for many other IPA's first if I had a regular choice.

No comments: