Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lucky Baldwins Craftsman Brewing Company Festival

As mentioned earlier, the Craftsman Fest at Lucky Baldiwns Pasadena is from June 9th-17th. I arrived there last night with my buddy Loren to sample some of Craftsman's rarer brews.

The tap list looked like this:

1. Poppyfields Pale Ale
2. Heavenly Hefe
3. Craftsman IPA
4. 1903 Lager
5. Orange Grove Ale
6. Triple White Sage
7. Smoked Black Lager
8. Biere De Blanco
9. Biere De Marz
10. Edgar's Ale
11. Baldwin's Abbey Ten
12. Cabernale
13. Roggen Rauch Bock
14. Honesty Ale
15. Point Five (cask)


Quick notations about the ones I tasted-
Triple White Sage: I don't eat much Sage and didn't really like the Sage aspect of this beer. The sage imparted a strange dry bitterness in the last half that wasn't appetizing to me. I don't doubt that people who like Sage will like this beer.

Baldwins Abbey Ten: A Belgian tripel that was very nice. I guess Craftsman made this one especially for Lucky Baldwin's 10th anniversary celebration late last year. VERY yeasty and sweet in the nose, lots of candy and sweet fruity esters in the taste. Enjoyed this beer.

Honesty Ale: I thought this was going to be an American Pale Ale as per BA, but only after being very confused and then getting back home and researching it a little more did I find this is actually a fruit beer brewed with cherries. Makes sense now. It was light, no hops, but very berry-ish, though I didn't notice cherry directly. I might have liked it a bit better had I known what they were going for.

Point Five: My first cask-conditioned beer! Wish it could have been a bit of a better experience. The point five is a "Half-IPA" at 3.7% ABV. It tasted like a harsh watery IPA, I didn't really like it.

Loren had the Smoked Black Lager, Orange Grove Ale, IPA, and Abbey Ten and liked them all. I plan to go back Wednesday or Thursday to sample a few more.

No comments: