Monday, July 2, 2007

IPA Fest Revelations and Upcoming Fests

I was able to open and close the week-long IPA fest at Lucky Baldwin's with trips on both Saturdays. The major thing I realized was that I developed a better appreciation for some beers I didn't take to in the biggest way when I first experienced them. Of course, I was also able to try some amazing new beers, namely Russian River Blind Pig IPA and Ballast Point Dorado Double IPA. The beers that I gained a greater admiration for were AleSmith IPA and Stone Ruination Double IPA. Both of these are very good beers for their respective styles, so I must conclude that my tastes when I first had them were not evolved enough to appreciate certain IPA's (since I definitely did like other IPA's). Unfortunately it's near impossible to find Ruination on tap in the greater Los Angeles area, but the Alesmith IPA is easy enough if you know where to look.

Next up at Lucky Baldwin's is the Christmas in July Fest which lasts for two days, on the weekend of the 14th and 15th. From hop overload one weekend to spice overload the next. Of course if that wasn't enough, a week-long Lagunitas Fest goes down the week after (July 21-29), only a few weeks before the week-long Belgian Beer Fest II (August 18-26). This will keep me somewhat occupied for the next couple months.

Also, on the horizon is the First Annual Stone Sour Fest, Sunday, July 22nd. I can't say I've begun to experience the world of sour beers (though I have a few in the fridge), but this should be a pretty good opportunity to try a variety of things.

No comments: