Saturday, July 7, 2007

Avery White Rascal

It's only 94 degrees outside right now, so I guess you could say today was a bit mild. That's still hot enough to need to crack open a refreshing beer, and thankfully I had a bottle of Avery White Rascal in the fridge. I don't pretend to be an expert on witbiers, and I must say this is actually the first one I've ever had. I've never even had more than a sip of Hoegaarden's witbier.

The label makes it sound tasty enough... Belgain yeast, wheat, curacao orange peel, and coriander along with Saaz Hops. The pour reminds me of the Hoegaarden my friend orders. It's a pale but cloudy yellow, with a nice bright white frothy head. Smells very Belgian-y, with the slightest bit of orange. The taste was eh, a bit of bland wheat, some earthiness, and a lingering spice finish. I didn't really pick up any of the bitter orange taste I was expecting. I will say though that this thing is pretty pretty pretty drinkable. I had no problem finishing this off in a few minutes, even though I didn't necessarily enjoy the taste of it as much as I do other beers.

I gave it a 3.65 on BA, but I probably liked it more than that, if that makes sense.

No comments: