Saturday, March 29, 2008

Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale

It's been about a year now that I've been wanting to try beers from Smuttynose, a brewery out of Portsmouth, New Jersey. My first opportunity was with their Old Brown Dog Ale. This seems to be classified by Smuttynose as an American brown ale, as opposed to a more authentic English brown ale. At 5.7% ABV it's highly sessionable, at least by American Standards.

You can see the pour to the left, it comes out really nice on the pour. The aroma and taste are great though. A little caramel sweetness (they use 60°L) and light chocolate malt combine to form a really nice signature brown ale taste. For anyone keeping score they also use Cascade and Willamette hops and get an IBU of 15. They don't really stand out to me at all. This is a nice malty and sweet sessionable beer. Glad I got to finally try a beer from Smuttynose and I'm glad I have their pale ale and porter also to try.

No comments: