Thursday, August 23, 2007

Top Rated Beers Invade the Summer of Beer!

In a trade with an exceptional fellow BeerAdvocate, I was able to acquire the #1, #2, and #9 top American ranked beers. Numero Uno being the Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, number two being the Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, and number nine being the Founders Breakfast Stout.

After these are consumed there will only be four beers in the top 10 I will still be seeking out for the first time- Pliny the Younger (I've stupidly passed this one up a couple times at different bars), Masala Mama, The Abyss, and Dreadnaught IPA (though I can get Dreadnaught at a local store, I'm just not sure how fresh it is).

I plan to have a couple week span in November or December where I have these three newly acquired stouts as well as formal blog reviews of Stone Russian Imperial Stout, Alesmith Speedway Stout, Great Divide Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti. That should be a fun time...

3 comments:

Jay H. said...

Steve, that Dreadnaught IPA is atrocious, at least to me. I can't for the life of me undestand why someone would want to wreck their palate and get a headache with one of those. That said - is FOUNDERS now distributed in Southern CA???

Steve said...

Yeah I remember seeing your review on the Dreadnaught- the main reason why I haven't bothered to purchase it yet (along with the price). Founders is not distributed in So. Cal. The Black Rye I got was from a local beer store that carries all that rare stuff we don't get over here (DFH, FFF, Founders, Great Divide). The guy has some contact in those areas who send him these beers. I'm not complaining :-) Unfortunately he only gets the Founders Black and Red Rye which is why I had to trade for the Breakfast stouts. He also carries pretty much every FFF beer except the Dark Lord, hence why I had to trade for that one too.

TC said...

Pliny the Younger is just about the hoppiest thing I've ever had. My neighborhood bar had it on tap about a month ago and a friend and I went for a couple of glasses. You can't taste anything for the rest of the night after drinking it, and with the high alcohol content, you can't see much, either. Pretty damn tasty, though, as far as mega-hopped beers go.