Saturday, September 29, 2007

Catching Up With Oktoberfest

I've been getting really busy lately with having to study so much, and unfortunately that won't let up until December 13th, but I've found a few moments here and there to enjoy some beer. I've been on quite an Oktoberfest kick, after having that informal tasting with a few friends last week. What I've noticed as I've had a couple more bottles of each is that Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest is the shit. Spaten is also very good too, but I feel like it's just slightly better from the tap than it is in those green bottles.

Last night I was able to get out to BJ's in Rancho Cucamonga, hoping they would have both of their seasonals on tap- an Oktoberfest and Pumpkin Ale. Well they had one of them so I ordered up the Oktoberfest. The appearance was beautiful, a perfect clear burnt orange color. This one was high on the toasted malt, but also had quite a bit of caramel type sweetness (though I've been schooled before that this isn't caramelized sugars in oktoberfests, it's actually sweetness from the melanoidins- like I can tell the difference). Anyway, it was pretty good. They poured it way too cold, so it gives you a nasty carbonated burn if you don't let it warm up.

I know Craftsman Oktoberfest is making it's way around Southern California right now. I'm sure Father's Office and Lucky Baldwin's have it on tap and I would definitely recommend looking for this one because it is tasty.

I also recently bought the Avery The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest which I will have soon, as well as a complimentary bottle of Allagash Tripel which was thrown my way by the coolest beer store owner ever. Fall is great isn't it? That is all for now.

No comments: