Monday, October 1, 2007

Maui Brewing Big Swell IPA

I selected the Maui Brewing Company's Big Swell IPA to accompany my pork chop dinner tonight and what a good choice it was. This beer comes as a bottle conditioned can, and I decided to dump the whole thing into my glass, yeast and all (usually I try to keep as close to 100% of the yeast out as possible). Anyway, the beer pours a dark copper color, though probably a little lighter than the picture indicates (flash). It has pretty good clarity until that yeast gets dumped in and a great looking rocky, sticky, airy head. The smell is very floral and reminds me a lot of the Ballast Point Big Eye IPA. Since Big Eye uses only centennial hops, I'm guessing that the Big Swell is dry hopped with centennial. Regardless, it gives off a very fresh and floral character that I thought was great. The taste is pretty well balanced. It's no Green Flash or Stone IPA but what it does is nice anyway. A more balanced IPA, but really tasty. The malt doesn't come across sweet, it's more of a lightly caramelized and toasted type of character. The hops still have that floral taste you expect from the aroma and the bitterness is pretty mild. Big Swell feels really good in the mouth, maybe due to the yeast I poured in that probably added some body to it. Overall it was a really good beer, and a lot better than it's current score of 83 (3.65) on BA. I gave it a 4.1, and luckily I still have 1 more can.

No comments: