Thursday, June 18, 2009

Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour

I think this fits into the Flander's Brown/Oud Bruin category if it had to. It's definitely very drinkable as it goes down like carbonated juice. As expected it's not very sour but it has a little tart bite to it along with a big fruitiness and overall sweetness. Personally, for regular consumption I prefer something a little more tart and dry with a lot of wood character like Lost Abby's Red Poppy, but this is still a pretty refreshing drink. I saw some poor reviews on it with people not impressed by its sourness. Hello people, not every beer is suppose to be Cantillon Geuze or Russian River Beatification.

4 comments:

Drink the Dregs said...

I think for the price, this is the best sour I can find. Any other suggestions?

Steve said...

I TOTALLY agree. At $2.80 a 12 oz bottle this is BY FAR the best deal I know for a sour. Course, I barely consider this a sour, but still. I honestly don't know of another beer that even comes close. The rest of the really good sours go for somewhere near $1/oz which I certainly can't afford on a regular basis.

Cantillon is ridiculously expensive, maybe Rodenbach is better. I'm thinking you can get Rodenbach for like $10 a 750 but that might not be true, as I haven't bought one in a while. If so that's a great deal.

J.Rhode said...

Try Petrus Aged Pale, about $5-6 per 12 oz. It seems to fly under the radar a bit. Or, try the only Lindemans that is actually sour, Cuvee Renee Geuze at about $11/.750.

Drink the Dregs said...

Ya know I haven't been very keen on Rodenbach but maybe I ought to give it another go. On the 750ml for about $10, Duchesse De Bourgogne is pretty damn solid as well.