Monday, January 28, 2008

Robust Porter Homebrew

I got into homebrewing a couple years ago but it's been about 1 1/2 years since my last batch, and since my buddy Steve wanted to learn how to do it we decided to get one going. Inspired by great sweet, chocolaty, and semi-roasty porters like Deschutes Black Butte and Sam Adams Holiday Porter, I wanted to see if I could create something anywhere near these.

I searched through a couple of my homebrew books and for recipes online to get a general sense of the ingredients and amounts that go into a porter, and I concocted this recipe...

Malt Bill (for 5 gallon batch)

  • 8.0 lbs Pale Liquid Malt Extract
  • 8 oz American Crystal 60L
  • 8 oz American Crystal 120L
  • 10 oz American Chocolate
  • 3 oz American Black Patent
  • 3 oz American Roasted Barley
Hop Bill
  • 0.75 oz Challenger (AA% 7.0) @ 60 min
  • 0.50 oz Willamette (AA % 3.9) @ 15 min
I'm trying to hit an ABV of ~ 5.0 - 5.5%. I'm using Wyeast London Ale yeast and during primary fermentation that bug was throwing off so many esters I couldn't believe it. It was actually making my room smell like banana. We just racked to secondary today and it smelled really good. I have a phobia of drinking yeast in such concentrated form, but my friend Steve siphoned himself a glass of highly unfiltered brew and seemed to like the product. My dad (not a craft beer drinker) described it as tasting like chocolate milk, which to me is a good sign coming from him, so hopefully I'm on to something here and get somewhere close to a nice chocolaty porter out of this.

No comments: