Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cranberry Lamic, Black Butte, and Elysian

Got home from class today and figured that I'm about over most of my cold so I reached for a cold one as I opened my notes to study for a quiz tomorrow. I've heard the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic referred to as "cough-syrup-like" so thought what better to combat my nasty cough still lingering. I went into this brew with very low expectations, realizing that it's the butt of most Sam Adams jokes among the beer geek internet forums. Well, at least now I can be the judge of that. It looks pretty nice on the pour, a clear light orange body with a light, airy, pillowy head. That's just about where anything good about the beer walks out the door. The aroma is reminiscent of Sam Adams Light, although I could pick up a faint tartness after really trying hard. The taste wasn't so good either. It hits the tongue with a very low tartness and then tastes like nothing the rest of the sip until a dryness sets in the tongue when it's over (I assume from the cranberry). Maybe nobody takes it as a serious lambic, but even as a cranberry fruit beer this one falls ridiculously short. I could see the trendy, uninformed female population drinking this though so...

I've been waiting for like a week to finally have another beer so I couldn't leave it on that note. A little Deschutes Black Butte porter for the soul...

And then I was pleasantly surprised by a package showing up today. I had set up a trade with a fellow BA who lives in Washington. Two weeks ago when I was at Port Brewing I ran into some chaps (heh, that's a funny word, I think I'll start using that more often) from the northwest who said if I was ever in Washington I needed to go to Elysian Brewing Company. Since I likely won't be there any time soon I decided to set up a trade for their main lineup which consists of an ESB, IPA, Porter, and Stout. I was also able to finally get a Deschutes 19th Anniversary Golden Ale I've been wanting to try for a while. I plan on sampling all of these real soon.

No comments: