Thursday, May 3, 2007

Port Brewing 1st Year Anniversary

This Saturday is the 1st year anniversary for Port Brewing / The Lost Abbey. Yes Pizza Port has been brewing for a long time, but it has been one year since they formed the cumulative "Port Brewing" and moved into Stone's old brewery in San Marcos. The open house lasts from noon to 9pm and they are giving tasters of some pretty interesting beers. A few of them include:

1) Barrel-aged version of Avante Garde
2) Barrel-aged version of Lost & Found
3) Bourbon barrel-aged version of The Angel's Share (normally it is aged in brandy barrels)

They are also selling a couple Lost Abbey beers specifically at this event. The Cuvee De Tomme is a special Belgian Strong Dark Ale made with Cherries and Brettanomyces, among other things. The first year anniversary beer "Ten Commandments" is also being sold. In addition to all this great Lost Abbey stuff, the regular Port Brewing beers like Hop 15, Old Viscosity, Older Viscosity, High Tide IPA, etc are also going to be on tap.

Now my dilemma. I have one more final the Monday after this event. It's not too hard and there isn't really any studying to be done for it, so I have decided I can spend Saturday down in San Marcos. Unfortunately, as seems to be the status quo with me, I've started to get sick. This seems to happen EVERY time there is some beer event that I want to go to, or even just a weekend where I have some really good beers I want to get to. The lymph nodes in my cheek became swollen about a week ago, but no other signs of sickness were present- until yesterday afternoon when at work, I felt my throat starting to get scratchy, which eventually evolved into a mild sore throat (as it stands right now). I've been throwing back the Emergen-C like there's no tomorrow, so maybe it will clear up by Saturday morning, but I'm expecting the worst.

No comments: