Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Few Recent Good-(or not so)-ies

The Lost Abbey Avant Guarde- The bourbon barrel aged version of this (En Guarde) was quite tasty. Unfortunately this bottle didn't please the senses as much. At first whiff the musty smell was almost pretty nasty. The taste wasn't as bad, and got a bit better even as it warmed considerably with some banana and sweetness peaking through more, but overall I wasn't too excited to finish my glass. Scored it a 3.4 on BA, but plan to revisit both in the bottle and on tap when I get a chance. (as I go back to edit this I must mention this was one of my first experiences with a beer that was suppose to have a funky smell. I have had Avant Guarde numerous times after this and have enjoyed it).


New Belgium Skinney Dip- A beautiful looking blonde ale, though it looks more like an amber. It also tastes more like an amber ale with lots of caramel. Not bad, though not too interesting either. Scored it a 3.65 on BA.

Delirium Nocturnum- A solid belgian strong dark ale. Very malty, belgian-y taste, with the alcohol very well hidden. Nice and smooth. Rated it 4.35 on BA.

No comments: