Monday, February 11, 2008

Pliny The Younger Watch: 2008


I'm going to try to keep a running log of the appearance and disappearance of the once-a-year triple IPA known as Pliny the Younger ("PtY"). This will focus on Southern California because it will be a lot more scarce down here and I'm using this to serve as my own quest for PtY (wait, didn't I just finish an Abyss quest just the other day?). Anyway, I rarely have any "inside" info so I'm just compiling all the facts and rumors that I find from sources around the internet etc. If you have any info drop a comment here or email me so I can add in updates. I proclaim this Pliny the Younger Central.

THE FACTS:

  • 1/28/08 - Tapped at the Russian River Brewpub (per reports on BA).
  • As good as usual (per Pacific Brew News)
  • Vinnie is trying to make this beer drier each year (per Pacific Brew News)
  • Ranked #4 in the world by BeerAdvocate.com, and #26 by RateBeer.com
  • This beer is only kegged; no bottles.
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FACTS OR RUMORS
  • Only 12 kegs total for Southern California (per BA)
  • Distribution through Stone starting 2/11/08 (per BA)
  • Father's Office in Santa Monica will not be getting it.
  • Hollingshead's Deli in Orange should have it sometime this week (11th-15th), or maybe the week after.
  • Hollingshead's received 5- yes FIVE! kegs.
SIGHTINGS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
  • 2/9/08 - On tap at Pizza Port Carlsbad
  • 2/10/08 - Pizza Port Carlsbad keg kicked. No More.
  • 2/11/08 - Hollingshead's Deli has it on right now.
  • 2/12/08- Hollingshead is going strong and the owner assures me there are more than 1 keg there, due to them being one of the first accounts Vinnie had when he was brewing in Temecula at Blind Pig Brewing.
    • (I had two 12 oz. servings and WOW, reviews to follow...)
  • 2/13/08 - On tap at O'Brien's Pub in San Diego.
  • 2/15/08 - On tap at Stone World Bistro & Gardens
  • 2/19/08 - Apparently Stone is out. Don't know if they have any more.
  • 2/19/08 - O'Brien's finished their first keg and was putting another on tap, that might be gone also.
  • 2/19/08 - Hollignshead's Deli was on their second keg as of Monday the 18th
    • This keg seemed to taste different to a few of us there. Some people thought it had more "orange" citrus character. I thought it was overall more aromatic and a bit more bitter too, but I loved it.
  • 2/21/08 - On tap at Pizza Port Solana Beach

Updates will be added as more info comes out.

Updated 2/22/08, 3:00pm

No comments: