Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Good Night / Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale


A few friends came over for some BBQ tonight and we had some beers. I tried a new one- the Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale and it was GREAT. More on that later. The beer on the far right isn't a Westvleteren... it's actually a bottle of my homebrewed porter, which I'm going to call a Banana Chocolate Porter since the London Ale yeast I used kicked out a ton of banana-y esters.

That would be the Dogfish Head Indian Brown. I got this in a trade with a BA in Florida, but good news for us Californians- Dogfish Head is starting to distribute again in CA. Already there are bottles popping up San Diego. This is great news. Back to the beer. This brown ale gets some really good ratings and I was a little skeptical being that brown ale hasn't generally been one of my favorite styles. I didn't care that much for Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale, the Deschutes Buzzsaw Brown was Ok but seemed to have a weird metallic thing going on, and the only one I really have liked is from this hole in the wall brewpub down the street from me that just shut down - Old Baldy Brewing Company.

Indian Brown pours a clear dark brown. The taste is rich yet refreshing, with chocolate, caramel and the nuttiness you expect from a brown ale. That's pretty much all I have to say about it. It was really good.

No comments: